Speech Team is a fun, non-threatening way to gain public speaking experience. It is open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th graders! For over 20 years, St. Vincent de Paul school has had a Speech Team that participates in contests held by three local Catholic High Schools (Bishop Blanchet, Seattle Prep, and Eastside Catholic). St. Vincent’s has won awards in Original Oratory, Duo Interpretive, Dramatic Reading, Humorous Reading, Storybook, and had the “Best Overall Boy” and “Best Overall Girl” at the Seattle Prep. Tournament (2006)!
HOW YOU DO IT. . .
• Beginning in October, we meet once per week to practice speaking skills. The season goes through February
• Select an event or two in which to compete
• Practice your speech(es) at home and at meetings
• Participate in speech competitions - one in December, one in January, and one in February
• Please review the Coach's document and fill out the included Sign Up form
Tournaments: Elocution contests are one-day events on Saturdays at the sponsoring high school. Students usually participate in 2-3 events varying from “interpretive readings” to “informative presentations” to “impromptu”. Student costs vary per contest. Speech club members are encouraged to participate in the contests but are not obligated to do so.
WHAT DO I GET OUT OF PARTICIPATING IN SPEECH TEAM?
Speech team offers a great deal to its participants! Below is a list of the numerous benefits of participating in St. Vincent de Paul’s Speech Team for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.
In speech team, you will…
• Have fun!
• Prepare for public speaking in a non-threatening environment
• Build and refine both written and verbal communication skills
• Effectively organize ideas and express them in conversation
• Meet other students from Catholic schools in the Archdiocese
• Become a better listener
• Increase your standard of excellence, integrity, and professionalism
• Develop interpersonal and group skills necessary for successful personal, school, and leadership relationships
• Improve your self-expression, performance, and presentation (including acting) skills
• Improve your research and organizational skills
• Build your ability to motivate and persuade
• Increase your self-confidence
• Develop literary interpretation skills
• Strive to win awards
• Work as part of a team. Students have to work together and encourage each other to win events
• One cannot become a better speaker through self-improvement alone
All of these benefits are enduring and life-long!
However, the skills the students develop vary somewhat depending upon the events they do and the effort that they put into it. Mr. Ducusin, while committed to developing a strong, victorious team which benefits the students on many levels, firmly believes that the speech team should be first and foremost, fun for individual participants.
IS SPEECH FOR YOU?
Because Speech has so many categories, it caters to all types of individuals:
• Introverts looking to be more outgoing
• Intellectuals wanting an opportunity to continue learning
• Comedians and Creative Writers looking for an outlet
• Performers looking to be center stage
• Socialites looking to make more friends
• Anyone who is willing to work hard, show a positive attitude, and have fun
• Speech can be a great activity for all types of personalities!!!